Saturday 14 November 2009

Welcome

Welcome to my blog.

I have recently been contributing to a blog that belongs to a friend of mine which is still online and can be found here:

http://apathyeveolved.blogspot.com/

However, the blog was set up for certain purposes and I began to worry that what I was writing may not reflect what all the authors wanted to say. Hence – this is my blog where I will post without fear of upsetting fellow authors (and hoping not to offend any readers – if there ever are any).

My main passion is the advancement of scientific understanding and trying to fight through the wealth of misinformation, superstition and bad science that seems to dominate a lot of the popular media. In particular, as could be seen by some of my posts in the apatheyevolved blog, I am a keen defender of evolutionary theory against those who attack it for religious, political and personal reasons. Evolution continues to create controversy – but never in the scientific community where its validity is not under debate. There are debates between scientists about the mechanisms of evolution and how each of them may contribute to evolutionary change – but that is the nature of science and does not indicate that evolution is somehow contentious.

Anyway, as soon as I start on evolution I get carried away (and why not, as I feel it’s a thoroughly fascinating and amazingly beautiful process). But, this is just my introduction.

I write best when inspired to do so by a certain book, article or documentary and I will often do that here. I will not constrain all I write about to scientific topics and I will try to comment on matters that interest me most. I also hope to raise awareness of the threat to biodiversity through anthropogenic activity, and perhaps advance understanding of climate change and the dynamic nature of our wonderful planet and its environmental and ecological systems.

I am not a particularly great writer and although I am studying to become a zoologist I am by no means a scientist yet – and certainly no expert. I encourage comments and feedback and I enjoy a good debate so if you disagree then let me know – but only in a constructive way please.

Well enough for now. Have a look at the blog (linked above) if you want to read some of my previous posts and comments.

Thanks for reading,

Dominic

No comments:

Post a Comment